In Canada, Registered Psychiatric Nurses (RPNs) have separate and unique education programs. These programs are available through accredited education institutions in Canada's four Western Provinces. Basic psychiatric nursing education is available at both the baccalaureate and diploma levels. A special educational focus is placed on psychiatric and mental health issues.
RPNC supports the movement towards baccalaureate as entry to practice for the profession of Psychiatric Nursing. The move towards degree preparation ensures that RPNs are well positioned to respond to the changing needs and demands of people in Canada and are fully prepared for expanded roles in the delivery of health services. Further information may be accessed through the websites of the member organizations of RPNC.
Psychiatric Nursing Programs
- Brandon University Bachelor of Science in Psychiatric Nursing (B.Sc.P.N.)
- Douglas College Bachelor of Science in Psychiatric Nursing
- Grant MacEwen University Psychiatric Nursing Diploma Program
- Kwantlen University College Bachelor Of Psychiatric Nursing
- SIAST Psychiatric Nursing
- Stenberg College Regional Diploma in Psychiatric Nursing